Curriculum Project - California
The model curriculum was adopted by the State Board of Education in March 2021. This model curriculum is the result of years of work by education experts, taking into consideration huge amounts of public inputs from different groups. It is built around four main themes, Identity, History and Movement, Systems of Power, and Social Movements and Equity.
This is the List of Sample Lessons and Topics in the model curriculum: Click Here
Points to note:
- The large number of different ethnic groups within the Asian American community
- The disproportionate under-development of Chinese American history and issues as shown in the length of Lesson 16 versus lessons 19, 24, 30 and 31.
This is the whole document that includes both model lessons and instruction guidance: Click Here
- 03/17/2021 Ed Source
- 08/15/2019 New York Times
- 09/14/2016 NBC News: California Governor Signs Bill to Develop High School Ethnic Studies Curriculum
- 03/22/2021 CNN: After years of debate, California finally adopts ethnic studies model curriculum
- 03/15/2021 AP News
- 02/05/2021 Jewish Telegraphic Agency: The controversy over California’s ethnic studies curriculum, explained